The scenic Byram River with its magnificent waterfall is the centerpiece of The Mill in Greenwich, CT today, just as it was when the site got its start over 200 years ago. Late in the 18th century, local businessman Jared Peck chose this spot, located in a tiny town then called Sherwood Bridge, to build a cotton mill using a waterwheel to harness the power of the Byram River. During the next hundred years, The Mill saw many changes and additions and produced a variety of products from grist to textiles.
In 1880, two visionary partners, William Tingue and Charles House, took over The Mill and turned it into a booming business. In 1881, they began work on the 4-story, gothic revival brick building with a tower that is still a visible landmark today. Into the building went all the modern industrial conveniences of the time: an automatic fire sprinkler system, central steam boiler heat, and a telephone system.
As The Mill grew, so did the area of Greenwich, CT known as Glenville. Residents of this boomtown anticipated that the railroad would soon come to them and built a station that is still part of the complex today- but the train lines never made it.
While much has changed since The Mill first started, two things have stayed the same- the beauty of its setting and its desirability as a successful business location.
CLICK HERE to view History Slideshow.
Mill Management ©2019 | Designed By Onpoint